Sunday, March 4, 2012

Another older work.

The humor value of shock: put characters in an outrageously uncharacteristic situation and it's usually funny if you can get over the initial shock.

That's what I was doing here.  I wasn't trying to satisfy some prurient interest by implying Pepper Ann had a lesbian relationship with her friend, or by dressing up a couple of 13 year old girls in fetish equipment.  Pepper Ann and her friend were always the polar opposite of sexy to me.  I was trying to be funny by putting them in a situation that is as totally divorced from the nature of the show as if I'd dressed her in army fatigues and placed her in the middle of The Battle Of The Bulge.  But some folks just see surface details and grab their pitchforks.

I actually liked Pepper Ann (before it won all those awards and Disney decided it had to live up to them by being preachy).  And who knows - - maybe Pepper Ann was secretly hot for Nicky and this is just a picture of the fantasy she goes to sleep dreaming.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see an artist use lesser known and less-likely characters for their damsel drawings. Nice work, Bill.

    ReplyDelete